Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Meet my extended family...

Tell your children about it in the years to come, and let your children tell their children. Pass the story down from generation to generation.  (Joel 1:3 NLT)

My life has always included my church family.  I have attended the same church since about birth, except for a few months when we lived in Lawrenceville (so has Jay, which is pretty handy).  Some of the best memories of my childhood come from church activities.  Our church was always known for their vacation bible school program.  We (Willow Creek) are way out in the middle of nowhere, actually just a couple miles from Moonshine, which is even further out in the middle of nowhere, but we had the best VBS programs.  Back then, they were held during the day because most women didn't work outside the home.  Loads and loads of kids were able to come because a parent or grandparent could give them a ride down to the middle of nowhere.  We had the best cookies around.  It is so funny for me to hear others talk about how awesome Willow Creek's VBS was back in the day.  I didn't realize it at the time because I thought everyone's VBS was like ours.  We just finished a week of VBS at Willow Creek.  I wouldn't say our numbers compare to what they were in the '80s, but I can tell you this, we still have some of the best cookies ever and we had fun. 

August would come and we would have our annual church camping trip at Sherwood Forest north of Martinsville.  Almost the entire congregation, that was able, came out camping.  Some had campers, some had a tent, but the rest of us slept under a very large canvas tent.  Yes, we all slept under this huge tent.  Just set up our beds/cots down each side of the tent wall and that's where we slept that weekend.  It was the best time.  The food was delicious and the fellowship was fun.  I realize now how much hard work it was for the adults, but I have to say it was worth it because I treasure those memories.  Later on, I may expand on some of our church camping stories because there are some good ones!!

Our youth group, when there were enough to have one, had monthly meetings, went on fun outings, attended church camps and convocations.  As I've mentioned in an earlier post, some of the friendships I developed at church camp are still as strong and as precious as ever.  Way back when I was really young (ha), the teenagers in our church would have a Haunted House in the old church basement, complete with brains and eyeballs and all that good stuff.  I'm guessing if we tried that now, we would probably get some hate mail!

Since the mid-1980s our CPW (Cumberland Presbyterian Women) has made and sold nutty bars at our local fair.  I can still picture that very first nutty bar t-shirt I had.  It was bright yellow with a big brown nutty bar on it.  It wasn't the prettiest thing now that I think about it, but I can picture it vividly.  We still make those nutty bars today, every June, and sell them at the fair. 

There's also the church birthday party, the potlucks, the fashion show, Mother/Daughter Banquets, Sweets-for-Sweets Auction, our Easter Sunrise breakfast, our delicious Thanksgiving meal, the Hanging of the Greens, I could go on and on.  The church has started some new traditions that are hopefully creating lasting memories with the children of the church now.  That is our job, isn't it?  To pass things down from one generation to the next.  Sometimes it's necessary for traditions to change or even stop, but I hope some day when my kids reflect on their childhood, they will have great memories of the times they spent with their extended family.

3 comments:

Country Girl said...

Thanks for sharing your church memories, Sarah! I can see why Willow Creek has such a loyal and devoted membership--you are family, many in the natural sense of the word, but all in the spiritual. I think that is a great testimony to us all of the body of Christ dwelling together in unity.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your blog! Reading about Willow Creek brought back so many memories. I wasn't living around here when the camping trips started, but I feel like I was there from hearing the great stories over and over. They are priceless! When I was growing up, the church was not only a place to worship, but it was the center of our social activities as well. (We're still known for great food.) Over time things have evolved, but I feel the core of Willow Creek has remained solid. It's a group of people who love God, love their church family and want to do the right thing for others around them so that they may come to know Him too. I believe that's a strong testamony of who we are.

apronsandappetites said...

My Baptist church was the same way: awesome Halloween parties where we all dressed up and won prizes, adults and children; great meals; the Banquets, Christmas programs, etc. People who have not had those experiences have no idea how "family" our church family is. We must not tire in doing good. And giving the children of today as great memories for tomorrow that we have is tiring but very good.