Sunday, July 24, 2011

Maybe it's not the flu

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.  (James 1:17 NIV)
 
Just around Christmas of 1999, I got sick.  Jay & I were living in Lawrenceville with Gunner, Macey & the Meepie.  It was a terrible stomach flu.  I remember going to basketball games and just feeling like total death.  It was just awful.  I missed a couple days of work.  Then the new year came, man alive, that flu bug would just not go away.  I could not seem to get over whatever was ailing me.

Finally about mid-January, my circuit clerk (and dear friend ML) says to me, Sarah, honey, maybe it's not the flu.  Maybe you're pregnant.  Hhhhm, I suppose I could be.  So for whatever reason, I waited until the next morning to drive to Wal-Mart before work and buy the test.  I don't know why, but it is so embarrassing to buy a pregnancy test.  I was married, I was 24 (going on 25), but I was still mortified to have to buy the silly test...I'm guessing, now that I think about it, that is probably why I waited until 6:00 a.m. to go shopping.

Well, without all the gory details, the test indicated that, yes, as a matter of fact, I didn't have the flu, I was only pregnant.  Only pregnant.  Well, good...at least it's not the flu.  Pregnant?!!  I remember yelling at Jay, we are going to have a baby...and then I remember him not responding for what seemed like forever.  Jay finally muttered, "We are going to be parents,"  I'm not sure if that was a statement, question or cry for help.

So I went to the doctor and figured out that I was about ten weeks along.  Thought maybe that flu bug would go away, but it didn't.  That 'flu' stuck with me for what seemed like FOREVER.  At one point, I had a countdown going and I would report in to the State's Atty's office in Lawrenceville every morning.  I know it went on for three months, every day.  I'm sure they appreciated all of my whining and details.

I wasn't one of those happy pregnant people.  I was more like the grouchy, when-is-this-going-to-end pregnant person.  Only to realize that it doesn't end, the symptoms just change.    After the sickies passed, I progressed from the oh-crap-this-is-what-heartburn-is to the what-is-that-pain-in-my-lower-abdomen phase, and finally onto the I-just-want-this-to-end-so-I-can-sleep-again phase (boy, was I clueless:). Some enjoy being pregnant and love how they feel; if you are that person, good for you, really, that is so great, honest, but excuse me, while I find the nearest toilet...again.  Ha!

Miss Madolyn aka Stinky arrived on August 11, 2000.  Although she was a handful as a baby, we love her and are grateful that God blessed our lives with her.  She's still a handful, and although I know I NEVER acted like that, we'll keep her.  Even though it seems like so long ago, I will never forget my friend, ML, laughing and teasing me about the time she told me, Sarah, honey, maybe it's not the flu...

1 comment:

Kathy said...

This cracked me up! From one "not-so-good-at-being-pregnant" chick to another... I can totally relate!