I had a birthday this week, a big one...and no one really razzed me about it. I was so ready for it too! But maybe the only one who thinks it's a big deal is me??? So what if I am 40? Age is all about your mindset. I don't feel 40, at least not mentally. I'm not sure what age I would say I feel like really. All I know is that the more candles I put on my cake, the younger my parents seem. (Ha!)
I had a pretty good 40th birthday. I was surprised with a very practical, but welcome gift - my very own shop-vac with super cool attachments. We have a really good one, but it's such a hassle for me (and Jay) to try to use it. If it's in the barn, most likely it has been sucking out hog waste and I really don't want it touching my car or blowing any fumes into my house! We do wash it out every now and then, but it's not the same, you know...
For lunch, my court reporter friend, Traci, came up to eat with me at the Mexican restaurant. Not knowing she would buy, I invited Jay to eat with us...and we both got a free meal. You can't beat that!
Then Jay surprised me with two lovely pots of bright red geraniums. If you don't know whose favorite flowers those are, you missed out. Grandma Great bought 19 bright red geraniums every spring to put in her flower bed on her porch. (I think the number was 19, it was definitely an odd number.) Later in the evening, my friend Beth brought over two more pots with geraniums. I was delighted. I can have some in the front and some in the back. She also brought some delicious gourmet cupcakes which I have been enjoying all week...(ouch!)
I also got a brand new spiffy bicycle. Last year I rode my bike quite a bit with Jay while he ran, and although my bike wasn't that old and was exactly what I had wanted at the time, I learned quickly that doing any distance on a bike with hills and dips in the road requires gears. My beach cruiser was perfect for cruising, but it wasn't built for hills. Although that had been my excuse for walking my bike two spots at Lincoln Trail Park, and now I won't have one...I'll just have to walk in shame...unless this new bike came with special powers as well.
And to top off an already great day - our sweet baby kitty Boots (now we're calling baby kitty mama) had her baby kittens! We had been watching her so close for a week now. And I said last week that maybe she would wait and have them on my birthday...Tuesday morning I told the family she sure was chatty and restless, maybe today would be the day...and it was!
I got some nice cards in the mail, my mom dropped off a birthday card (as I was being rushed away for baseball practice by my impatient son) and my father-in-law slipped me a card too. I felt a little spoiled when it was all said and done. As I was getting ready for bed I thought about how truly blessed I am. I know that phrase is over-used sometimes, but I can't help it. I have good health, a great family and friends, an awesome little community, my salvation and overall safety. What more could I ask for?
One of my favorite skits on SNL is one with Molly Shannon. "I'm Sally O'Malley and I'm Fifty." And she usually says something like, "And I can kick!" and then she throws her leg up in the air. It just cracks me up. (Honestly at this point, I would pull a muscle if I tried that.) A coworker brought me a couple pieces of Dove dark chocolate, the kind that comes with sayings on the inside wrapper. My first one said "Be proud of your age." Hmm, why not?
My mantra this year is I'm Sarah Wilhoit and I'm 40. I am fun, frugal and feisty...
No comments:
Post a Comment