I forgot to update you on our guinea pig farm.
After Clovis bit the dust, I promised Lane I would purchase him a new pig and get it at the 'other' pet store. He trusted me to go alone and when I got there, I called him to describe what I saw. What I saw were no less than 20 guinea pigs zipping around a large cage. They were everywhere, in various sizes and colors. So much happier and healthier than the ones we watched at the chain pet store.
He told me what one to buy (through my descriptions - there's a bunch of brown and white ones, a few white ones, a couple brown, white and orange ones, an odd-looking gray one that looks like a bunny, some solid brown ones, etc.). I grabbed one I thought was pretty cute and not too big and toted it home.
Lane was happy with my choice (miracle) and named him Flash because of his speed. He could zip around very quickly and acted NOTHING like poor little Clovis. (Which makes me feel better, obviously Clovis was unhealthy and it had nothing to do with his care at our villa, right?)
Madolyn came home and fell in love with little Flash and decided she had just enough money to buy her own guinea pig. I figured what the heck? We have a huge cage and little Flash came from such a big community, it had to be lonely. So off we went a week later to purchase Flash a friend.
And wouldn't you know it, Madolyn picked the one I described above as an odd-looking gray one that looks like a bunny. Typical. (Mom: Gosh, that dress is ugly! Mad: I love it!) You get the picture. It was settled, we were bringing home "Chip."
Anyway, before we left I had them check the gender of Chip. I was told when I purchased Clovis that guinea pigs could have between 2-15 babies at a time. (I'm not sure if the guy was joking with me or not.) I had not consulted with my partner in crime at all on this purchase. (We have an agreement about UAP's --unauthorized purchases.) But in my defense, Madolyn was buying this one with her own money. So, technically, it wasn't really my purchase...just go with it.
As it turns out -Chip was a boy & Flash was a girl. Oops.
So it looks as if we could have our own little guinea pig farm this summer. I tell all the kids' friends when they come over and play with the little pigs that everyone gets to take a baby guinea pig home when they're born. The kids think it's a great idea. I haven't talked to any parents yet. It's like a party favor. It's only polite to accept the gift.
So we have big pigs outside and little pigs inside...and we could have even more little bitty pigs inside soon...
No comments:
Post a Comment