Monday, April 27, 2015

The Pampered Ambush

Last Monday the softball game cancelled due to rain so Madolyn and I took the opportunity to go and get her nails fixed up for prom which was Saturday.  I made her an appointment, dropped her off and went shopping to kill time.  She was having a manicure and pedicure so I figured I had at least an hour or so.  I came back once to check in and she was fine so I took off again for a little more shopping.

When I returned, she was in the beginning stages of having fake nails put on so I sat down beside her.  Immediately the flattery began.  One after another, the employees would comment on how we must be sisters, there is no way I was her mother, blah, blah, blah.  I thanked them, of course, but figured it was a ploy.

Pretty soon one of the employees approached us and started in with the comments and then she said to me, "I can fix up eyebrow, yes?"  I laughed and said, oh no, I'm fine.  "No, no, I make you pretty. It be quick.  No problem.  " Hmm, okay, I could see it was going to be a while so I figured, what the heck?  But first I made sure they weren't going to leave me with NO eyebrow at all.  I had noticed that the female employeesall had painted-on eyebrows so it made me a tad nervous.  I was reassured they would not leave me brow-less.

Now, let me preface this by saying, I'm a hairy girl.  I have thick dark hair and it likes to grow and flourish.  My eyebrows are thick and bushy.  (I think my mom calls them the Young eyebrows, an inherited trait.)  I know this, but I also know that what you take out will grow back.  I had had my eyebrows waxed one time before and didn't really notice a big enough difference to have it done again.  I pluck with my tweezers every now and then.  I guess some people are big on proper eyebrow maintenance, others are not.  I would fall into the "others are not" category.

I lie down in this back room and she starts in on the eyebrows.  It was pretty relaxing actually and quick.  It wasn't bad at all.  I could have fallen asleep.

And then it came..."You have hair on lip."  Yes, I realize that.  I always have.  (She said that as if it were a surprise.)  "I take that off too?"  Sure, why not?!  And so she does her magic on my upper lip. Pretty soon, she pulled out a magnifying lamp and had it over my face...then came the scissors.  She was snipping away in my nostrils!  I tell you, I felt like an old man.

Before it was all said and done (2.5 hours later, I was so glad Lane had stayed at Grandma's), I had gel polish on my nails and a fire red face from waxing, Madolyn had cute toenails, snazzy fingernails and waxed eyebrows.  I realize now that the flattery may have been a sales pitch.  They knew what they were doing.  I was suckered in and then ambushed.  Cha-Ching.

1 comment:

apronsandappetites said...

Oh my gosh!! I am sitting in court in Carmi laughing out loud. I'm surprised J. Stanley hasn't asked me what's so funny. The thing is... I can envision all of this happening. And it is just too funny. The comments were real, and you NEEDED all that work!! lol