thirteen years ago, about 7:45 a.m.? I remember it clearly. I was doing what I always did Monday through Friday, I was driving down Route 1 on my way to work. My mother called me, which was a little unusual because I had just dropped Madolyn off at her house. I was passing through an area where I didn't have great reception, but I was able to answer her call. I heard every word she said, but was perplexed by it. It didn't really click with me the enormity of the situation until I got to work and turned on my computer.
I remained glued to that computer almost all day. Watching the coverage, reading the latest updates, waiting for what was to happen next. Wondering how it would affect me...I mean, really affect me on a personal level. Because isn't that what we are all really worried about when it comes down to a situation like that. How will my life change?
I didn't know anyone that was murdered by the terrorists. I live miles and miles away from New York, Pennsylvania and the Pentagon, it doesn't really affect me. Oh, but it did, and still does.
It's one of those life-changing events. We all have them, whether on a personal level or something like this. You hear the elder generation talking about where they were when they got the news that President Kennedy had been assassinated,when John Lennon was killed, about the attack on Pearl Harbor, when Elvis died, etc. Unfortunately, I'm compiling my own list like that, the Challenger disaster, Princess Diana's death, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc.
On the evening of 9/11 when I left work, I tried to get gas and it was a nightmare. There were lines at every gas station, causing traffic jams (even in little Lawrenceville), the gas prices had been jacked way up, but everyone was still in a panic and determined to get what they could right then..before it wasn't available at all. Because that was the fear, that afternoon for me at least...not knowing what the future would hold, scared the gasoline supply would be shut off. My plan that evening was to top off the tank, no matter what the cost, and get home to watch and wait...wondering if it the attacks were over.
Hearing amazing stories that would come out of the tragedy later brought some sense of light to the darkness caused that day. There were many who became heroes, some lived to tell about it, others did not. I cannot even begin to understand what it would've been like to have received a telephone call from a loved one, who moments later, would be crushed to death. It seems surreal.
I wonder what our kids will think of this history lesson. Will they understand how scary it was that day, waiting to see if there would be more attacks, wondering if there were terrorists planted throughout the United States waiting to set off a chain reaction of destruction and despair? My guess is they will not get it, unfortunately, until they have their own life-changing event like I mentioned before. I know I sure didn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment