Friday, September 26, 2014

The Dynamic Mouser Duo

Sunday afternoon the kids were in the living room playing a game and I heard Lane scream (he screams like a girl - it's pitiful).  I ran out there and he was standing over a very small gray thing on the floor in front of the television.  It was so small that I had to bend down to make out what it was. It was a deceased baby mouse that looked like it had been through the wringer (might I suggest repeatedly) at some point in the past few days.  It was not a fresh kill.  Ugh.

I scooped up the carcass and threw it out the back door.  We carried on as usual.  And by "usual" I mean, it is not necessarily unusual for us to have dead (or live) creatures brought into the house by the felines.

The weather has been so glorious.  It was super silly to be running the air conditioner, so Jay got the screens out and put them in the living room windows.  In the past, we have ignored the fact that our windows came with screens and opened them anyway...hence the dead (or live) varmints brought into the house by our vicious kitties.

The screens solved the problem of the kitties and the windows, however, now that we have Moxie and she is in the early stages of potty-training, leaving the sliding patio door open is a must when she's inside.  If you miss her split-second stare at the back door to go out, she pees right there.  (And I do mean she has a bladder control problem because it's mere seconds.)  I've found it's much easier to keep the door open a little.

I can only assume that the nasty, baby mouse carcass was carried in through the back door by one of the sweet kittens.

Sunday evening, Jay, Madolyn & I are sitting on our bed chatting (I know, amazing, but my 14-year-old likes to do that every now and then).  All of a sudden, as calm as could be, Madolyn looks down at the floor by our bedroom door and says, "There is a big fat mouse."  Her expression was pretty flat, she wasn't overly excited, screaming and carrying on (unlike her brother earlier).  Jay and I didn't take her serious at all.  She repeated herself and we waited for her to make a joke about it...

And then we both leaned forward and discovered there was a very fat mouse just inside our bedroom door, with a drip of blood coming out of its ear.  Jay quickly hopped off the bed, got a dirty sock and threw the wounded mouse outside.

Neither one of us could believe how Madolyn, who is terrified of the tiniest of spiders, was not freaking out over the bloodied mouse staring up at her.  She remained surprisingly calm and then started laughing at us.  (We weren't quite as calm.)  

I know what you're thinking, oh my gosh, what is wrong with you people?  I can't say as though I have a decent answer.  I guess my personal thoughts are, I'd rather pick up a bloody mouse and toss it outside than clean up a pee puddle.

Here's to hoping Moxie's potty training and patience progress quickly...so we can shut that back door to keep the wounded prey out of our house.

the Dynamic Mouser Duo on break

As for the Dynamic Duo there, they need to kill whatever they attack and keep it outside.

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a great picture of your sweet kitties. Magazine worthy. :-)