A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 13:34 (NIV)
Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. Romans 12:10 (NIV)
I saw on the news there was a pay-it-forward marathon so-to-speak at a Starbucks somewhere in Florida. Around 7:00 a.m. one morning a lady ordering herself a specialty drink paid for hers and the person's behind her, setting off a chain reaction at that Starbucks which lasted until around 6:00 p.m. that evening. 378 people in a row kept paying it forward. (Don't you wonder if the 379th person understood what was going on?)
A friend of mine on FB posted a few days ago something in regards to the Starbucks story, paraphrasing, don't people realize if they want to pay it forward there are people who need more essential things like formula, diapers, food, etc., not a high-dollar latte. I understand where he is coming from sort of. I so wanted to post a reply and decided not to cause a debate on his page, or make him feel bad.
So here goes my thoughts on the subject...
Paying it forward is an act of kindness, hopefully stemming from a loving heart. Whether you're paying it forward through a monetary gift or doing a good deed, the idea behind it is doing something for someone else without expecting anything in return. No strings attached. Here is a gift...just because.
I love the idea of the randomness of paying for someone's order behind you in the drive-thru. In the moment, you make a decision without deep thought, no judgments. Does the person really need it? Are they deserving? It's not about whether the person you're paying it forward to can afford it or deserves it. If that's why you're doing it, then you're missing the point.
Jesus commands us to love one another and put others before us. He doesn't leave much room for interpretation or set out a list of qualification guidelines. I have no doubt Jesus delights in donations made to those in serious need...just as he would if you bought a stranger a cup of coffee. It's all about love.
And you never know when you're entertaining angels... Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels. Hebrews 13:2 (NKJV)
1 comment:
Very well put, my friend. I totally agree. I don't understand why people criticize any gesture that's done in love, but there is always a critic. See the comment thread on my facebook post today and you'll see another example. :-) You know what thought just occurred to me?! The disciples criticized Mary for pouring the expensive oil on Jesus' feet when she "should have given the $ to the poor"!!! And we know Jesus' reply to that! :-)
Post a Comment