Tuesday, December 17, 2013

To knit or exercise? That is the question...

I was thinking yesterday...it's really good to have a healthy hobby, but it's not so good to have an addiction. My problem is always with balancing things.  At this point in time, I am totally consumed with knitting.  I could knit 24 hours a day if time, work, hands, arms, supplies allowed for it. (Okay, I may be exaggerating a tad, but...)  I'm in love with knitting.
In my mind, I was comparing this passion for knitting every spare moment to how my BFF spends some of his spare time - exercising.  Why can't I become consumed with exercising...something other than my fingers and hands (which is becoming a problem, by the way)?  Gosh, if only I could somehow have a little of both...the gumption and discipline to exercise for my health...and then relax by knitting.

I think my BFF finds running through hilly, snow-covered bike paths relaxing.  To me, it sounds simply treacherous.  And he will go run miles after doing an extreme work-out video.  What is wrong with that man?!  I'm at that point where I feel like the knitting has become my excuse to not exercise.  I want my spare time for knitting and nothing else.

I saw an article last week about a man breaking a world record - running a marathon and knitting a 12-foot, 9-inch scarf.  First of all, my BFF couldn't understand a man wanting to knit, but all I could think about is, who in their right mind thought of trying this and set the first record?  I've been told by a friend that she has crocheted while walking on the treadmill.  I'm just not sure I'm that talented...and I certainly don't need a broken ankle or leg.

I'm hoping real soon to find that balance I have so much trouble with...in more ways than one.  (Don't even ask me to stand on one foot right now.)  But my goodness, it's almost the end of the year, so why not wait until January 1 to turn over my new leaf?  I would hate to break tradition...better keep knitting.

No comments: