I'm pretty sure that Sirius/XM Radio was created, in part, to torture young children. That is my take on it anyway. I had XM radio many years ago when I commuted to work. At first, I thought it was silly to pay for radio, but once I had it, I was hooked. I listened to a lot of Dave Ramsey shows over the years, and it helped pass the time as I drove many miles.
Jay has Sirius in his truck, but I'm not in there a whole lot. I traded vehicles a couple weeks ago and it came with a year subscription to Sirius...and I am loving it! Eighties on Eight and Nineties on Nine are fabulous. I must admit I enjoy a little Hairnation too! I love, love, love to hear music from my younger years. What is it about the power of music that it can take you back to a particular time - the very moment you hear a certain song?
One of the other things I like about the Sirius radio is it gives you the name of the song, the artist or band and the year it was released. I love telling my kids, hey, I loved this song...back when I was only ten years old, etc.
And the kids think it is just torturous when Jay and I are in the front seat with our favorite channels on, singing along and blasting those sweet tunes as loud as we can. They beg us to turn the channel, make faces, huff and puff...and we love it.
If I really want to make them crazy, I put it back to the Sixties on Six channel. I love music from that decade and they really think it's archaic. The Beatles, the Turtles, the Monkees, CCR...oh yeah!
The night before Thanksgiving, I took Madolyn and some of her friends to watch Catching Fire. On the way home (sometime around midnight - I was having trouble with tired eyes), I decided I had had enough of their obnoxious music, turned the radio to my tunes...and sang along to keep me awake and to help keep my sanity. It was so funny, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" came on and I piped up and told the kids, "I remember getting this RECORD for Christmas." Immediately after that, a Men At Work song came on, and I laughed and told them that the very same year, my brother got that record for Christmas.
I'm sure they didn't appreciate that little blast from my past, but it made me smile. I love music, lots of different kinds of music, and how they connect us to our memories. And I will continue to Rock On to the detriment of my children...
1 comment:
I know what you mean. But even though our kids say some of the songs are stupid, they've fallen in love with some of them! Like MJ's "PYT" and like you said, "Thriller". One of Lexi's favorite songs is now Prince's "Kiss". LOL!
Post a Comment