Monday morning came (Columbus day), I got my first text at 6:00 a.m. from Madolyn telling me they were in position. The second text came a few minutes later, "grandpa won't let me put more than one shell in the gun." My reply: "Do what grandpa says, don't complain." The next thing I hear is my cell phone ringing, "We shot a deer! Both of us shot the same one." "What?" "Yeah, we both shot the same one." I threw my clothes on and headed out the door.
![]() |
| Recap |
We loaded up and went back to the Quacker's for pancakes to celebrate. It was now Grandma's turn to hear the story. I took a couple pictures of my dad telling the tale. He was very animated (no surprise, right) and couldn't keep from laughing. Madolyn, the sassy 13-year-old, was butting in, telling her side of the story, and Lane just kept pacing and giggling. It was a hoot.
In a nutshell, they were set up in position and the Quack was giving hunting tips...as Madolyn says, he would not quit talking. All of a sudden she sees four deer heading right towards them, so she bumps him and tells him to be quiet (in a sweet tone, I'm sure). Now, here is the part that is so typical of any hunt I've ever been on...no one was ready. One gun was on the ground and grandpa was holding the other one.
In slow-mo, they each pick up their respective guns and aim. On the count of the Quackdaddy's three (although I'm told they both shot on two), they pulled the trigger...aiming at the same deer...of course. Lane's blast blew him off his seat on a five-gallon bucket. Remember first off I told you that Mad was upset to only be allowed one slug at a time? When I asked her how it was that she shot four slugs into this poor deer, she said, "Grandpa just kept handing me shells." Ah-ha. (I shook my head, in all my years of hunting, I could shoot and reload as many shells as I had at my fingertips. She gets it honest - we had the same guide.)
| This was the kindest photo... |
Which reminds me, our local chapter of Farmers & Hunters Feeding the Hungry will pay for processing at a few area meat lockers if you are willing to donate your game. Just ask at your locker if they participate in the program. (I know the locker service in Martinsville does.)
We went on about our day, and Madolyn decided that she wanted to go hunting that afternoon, and since Lane tagged the deer, she still had a tag. Three of my nieces also wanted to go, so off we went to Grandma Great's pond. I put everyone in a safe position and got myself situated. It was a beautiful evening. There is something about sitting in the woods and just listening that is therapeutic. It is so peaceful...until the person behind you shoots a slug. Yikes, I was not expecting that first shot from my niece, but somehow managed to stay upright.
![]() |
| Hey, I'm wearing my orange. |



1 comment:
Love the story and the pix!
Post a Comment