Friday, October 11, 2013

Best Eats Ever

By now you should know that a large portion of my life revolves around food, what we're going to eat, where we're going to eat it, etc.  And when I find something I really like, I'm willing to do about anything to get it every now and then...even if that means driving 45 miles or more.

Last Friday night, Madolyn and I made the trip south for the best tacos on the planet.  I know you may think I exaggerate, but seriously, these are really The. Best. Tacos. Ever.  On our way home, just after scarfing down two of those treasures, I started thinking about some of my favorite places to eat and who has the best_____.   Here is the short list I came up with:

Tacos - (Of course, I had to begin here) The best tacos this side of heaven are found in a not-so-nice-looking-tavern in Lawrenceville, Illinois.  The name of this little gem is Syd's.  They serve these juicy, flavored-filled, shredded-beef tacos with a fried soft shell every Wednesday and Friday evening from 5-10 pm.  They are pretty good sized, so two is just enough and three will stuff you.  (I have been known to eat four a time or two.)  They literally make my mouth water, and as long as they are serving tacos at Syd's, every few months, I will make the 90-mile round-trip to get some.  Last week, we picked up 22 to go.  Yes, they are that good.

Pizza - If you live in central or southern Illinois and you don't like Monical's Pizza, well, you need to move on somewhere else.  Monical's Pizza is above-all the best pizza around, and the restaurant in Robinson cannot be beat.  A couple other Monical's are close in quality, but Robinson remains my favorite. They also carry Pepsi products, which is a plus.  I love going down to Monical's on a wintry night with friends and sitting around the table stuffing our bellies.  When my aunt and cousins from Michigan come down, we have to make the trip to Monical's, they love it too!

Fried Catfish - Five years ago I would have told you that Earl's in West Union was the best fried catfish (that was the only place I would eat it), but I have since seen the light.  A couple years ago on one of our excursions to Southern Illinois, we stumbled upon the E-town River Restaurant in Elizabethtown, IL.  There is no match to that fried catfish, or at least none that I have found.  It is also mouth-watering and worth the long trek south.  In a few weeks, we hope to be making that catfish run.  It has been far too long. Yes, I think I'm starting to salivate.

Burgers - How can I live five miles from Moonshine, Illinois, and not peg them with the best hamburger around?  You're right, I can't.  Even though it is nearly impossible to enjoy one of those plump, juicy burgers these days because of that little secret getting out, they are still the best burgers around.  It's a combination of atmosphere and company that make them special.  I like them to go because the grease from the burger soaks into the bun.  Sounds gross, I know, but it's sooo good.

Some Favorite Has-Been's

Hen House - I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Hen House.  The Hen House was located on the north side of the overpass north of Martinsville.  As a child, it did not matter what I ate at the Hen House, it was the best.  I remember their slightly toasted buttery buns on juicy, thick hamburgers, and I also remember very vividly their thick french toast.  Oh, yeah, they had a great little gift shop too.  I have lots of good memories hanging out there after Bluestreak ball games. (How I wish we had a place like that in town now.)

The Feed Bag - I may not be able to recall anything in particular that I loved to eat at the Feed Bag in Mazon, Illinois, I probably remember it most because of good memories.  Mazon is where my parents met and where my grandparents lived until they retired and moved to south Texas.  I made many trips to the big city of Mazon, which included stops at the Feed Bag.  Mazon is a very small town, the Feed Bag was the place to be.  And what a great name, huh?

The Tastee Freeze - Growing up, the place to go locally for ice cream was The Tastee Freeze in Casey. (We also called it Bongo Bob's Burger Barn.)  Much like Dairy Queen, they served food, and their french fries were the best before McDonald's fries were so popular.  I love chocolate ice cream and Bongo Bob's had some good chocolate ice cream.  Ahhh...

I know there are probably many good joints I'm forgetting.  I was thinking about places that weren't necessarily the best, but popular during my childhood.  I may have to save that for another day.  I'm getting pretty hungry, and hey, it's Friday :)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Just something to keep in mind... when you're at Syd's you are half-way to my house. If you come all the way you could hit Syd's again on your way home. I guess it would all have to be within a five-hour period is the bad part. Ha! ;-) And I soooo agree about the catfish in E'town! Actually, the whole list!