Tuesday, October 29, 2013

More of him, less of me.

He must become greater; I must become less.  John 3:30 (NIV)

This past weekend, Madolyn, Grace and I spent the night down in Fairfield.  The Varsity Volleyball team had an all-day twelve-team tournament and since the girls are the managers, I went along.  There are a couple churches in Fairfield from our denomination and presbytery and we have lots of 'church' friends down there, so we decided to spend the night after the tournament and go to church the next morning.

A good friend preaches at one of the churches down there, but as luck would have it, he and his family were going out of town.  That was one of the main reasons I wanted to go.  Bummer.  They had someone coming in to do the message:  a 'kid' from camp that had been their summer youth minister and was attending college at our university in Tennessee.  He is a great, funny young man so I was okay with missing the 'real deal' this time.

He started out by showing a video from a song he liked and the one image that caught my attention was the one above.  I LOVED IT.  Immediately, I thought of two things: That would be a great t-shirt, and I must get that up on our Youth Chalk Wall this week!

After the video played, Holton made a statement like this, "One of my favorite things about this video was the picture of the cross with the greater than sign and the 'I'.  Wouldn't that make a great t-shirt?"  Ahh, I could not believe he just said that!  I even whispered to Mad, "Hey, that's what I was thinking!"

So I'm on Facebook today and I see a video that a friend and Cardinal fan 'liked' and I clicked on it.    At the top of the page, it says "Increase, John 3:30."  Do you notice anything familiar about that?  The scripture was the exact same as the one referenced in the image from the video I saw on Sunday.

Do you think that maybe God wants me to take John 3:30 to heart...that maybe there is a reason I keep seeing THAT scripture text?  Hmm....

I then proceeded to play the link about Adam Wainwright.  Wow, what a great story, a positive message from someone many might consider a super star.  Although few and far between, there are famous Christians out there.   It's great to see those with strong faith share their very personal stories. 

If you have five minutes to spare, watch this video.  Regardless of whether you're a Cardinal fan (although, honestly, how can you not be?), this guy is awesome - and not because he's a famous baseball player either.

http://theincrease.org/store/videos/adam-wainwright-my-story.html



1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm ashamed to say I didn't know who Adam Wainright even was. but boy I do now! What an awesome testimony! Thanks for sharing!