Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Just not my day

This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.   Psalm 118:24 (NKJV)

Today is not my day and it just so happens to be a Monday.  Have you ever had one of those days where you just wish you could start over?  That is how I have felt several times today.

It really started last night, although I didn't let it get to me too much.  Lane and Madolyn were tossing a little Nerf football/dart thingy from the kitchen to the living room, which is not allowed upstairs, but their dad was in the living room and I was in the kitchen so we can't really blame anyone for that one, huh?

I was cleaning the counter tops and had just moved my Nook and glasses (not in a case) to the bar stool next to my purse.  I heard a slight crash and then Madolyn says, "Uh-oh, Lane, you're in trouble!"  There on the floor was one-half of my cute pink glasses.  After looking around, we discovered the other half caught in the chair.  They were broken right down the middle.

We tried to glue them, then I tried to wrap them with scotch tape.   I even wore them on the treadmill this morning to read while I did my couch to 5k workout.  It was very difficult to keep them up on my nose, as the tape was not holding very well.

I don't have horrible vision at all, it's only when I read or look at a computer screen that I have problems...which for me is a problem because I'm at a desk most of the day.  Thankfully, I do have my old spare pair in my desk drawer at work.  I wore them all day and will continue to wear them until I can get a replacement. 

I got ready to make Lane toast for breakfast this morning, put the bread in the toaster and voila...it wouldn't work.  Strange.  I unplugged it, plugged it back in using various plug-ins...not working.  Wonderful.  I eat toast almost very single day for breakfast.  No breakfast for me today.

My kiddos like to rush me out the door in the morning and this morning they did their usual routine of taking "all" my stuff to the car for me so I wouldn't have to take the extra 20 seconds to grab it.  It makes me crazy because I then don't know what I have and don't have, although they tell me they have everything.   If you know me at all, you know I'm a little scatterbrained and need visuals...I need to be able to see the stuff in my bag.

I drop Lane off and reach into my purse to see if Jay has texted (he usually will when he works days) to ask how the morning is going.  No phone.  Aaaahhhh.  Although I realize I survived 19 years without a cell phone, I'm pretty attached to that little thing and feel almost naked without it.  I get to work and email mom, Jay and my friend, the teacher, at school to tell them I have forgotten my phone at home, call me at work if you need something.  And I ask the teacher friend to let Madolyn know that I don't have my phone just in case she needs something.

Right at lunch I get an email from Jay, Madolyn has my phone in her pocket.  Ahh, she took it to the truck but forgot to get it out of her pocket.  So she already knows I don't have my phone.

I get to the nursing home at lunch and as soon as I walk in, Grandma Great tells me the new shirt I just bought her doesn't fit...again.  (Jay had her name for Christmas, he picked out the most perfect shirt and it wouldn't fit, they took the tags off and we couldn't return it, so we gave it to Jay's grandma.)  I go find another similar shirt for her to replace the one that didn't fit and tell her to please not take the tags off before she tries it on.  Apparently, someone forgot.  This shirt also doesn't fit and has no tags.  I can't give this shirt to Jay's grandma because it's so much like the first one...so someone else will be blessed by it, I guess.  It's not exactly my style or size.

All day long I have felt out of sorts, thoughts cross my mind about how awful today is going...and like normal I see or hear something that jerks a knot in my tail.  Makes me realize how really, really petty it is that my toaster is broken and that I was without it for less than one day.  That even though my glasses, at least seven or eight years old, are broken, I have a spare in my work desk drawer and Vision insurance.  My cell phone, although not right at my fingertips, is at the fingertips of my darling daughter; if there is a family emergency, she will at least be able to tell them I don't have my phone.  The shirt is a shirt.  I will find Grandma Great another shirt and post some sort of sign or warning label on the tags of it that says, "Do not remove or else - Sarah will come after you!"

So maybe today is just not my day, but God-willing I will have another chance at it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Happy Tuesday! :-)