Thursday, November 1, 2012

Bazaar crafts

It is that time of year again, our annual church bazaar is tomorrow at the community center in Martinsville from 9-6:00 or 6:30.  We will be serving vegetable or chili with ham salad, chicken salad or peanut butter sandwiches and pie all day (noon and evening meals).  There will be food, crafts and all kinds of goodies for sale as well. 

So in preparation for the annual bazaar, the bazaar that I know comes annually, that is once a year, every year, at the same time each year.  Sort of like Christmas, in the sense that you know that it's coming every year at the same time each year...yet all of a sudden everyone is panicking because it's that time.  Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes down at my house with the bazaar.  I handle Christmas much better...sort of.

Anyway, last week, one week before the big show, I decided I better get my fanny in gear and start building something really cool and crafty for the bazaar.  I have tried many things over the years.  I have made freezer meals, baked cookies and candies, put together gift bags, laundry soap, crafts, the family pushed through gallons of persimmon pulp, etc. 

This year I turned to Pinterest for help.  Good grief.  Last week was the first time I've really actually "been on" Pinterest and looked at things.  Holy cow, there are millions of wonderful ideas on there.  Everything is so Martha-Stewart-like too.  And I was overcome with this "I can do anything because it's on Pinterest and they can do it" feeling.  I made lists and checked them twice.  I went to Hobby Lobby on Saturday and spent a ridiculous amount of money on craft supplies (thankfully, all Christmas was 30% off).  Came home excited and about to burst because I was going to make such super cool things...

And right off the bat realized I had miscounted this one collage-type frame I needed for a project...discovered that the easy-do-it-yourself-initial-letter-wrapped-in-greenery-with-a-bow wasn't so easy...found that the stickers I had bought to make these really cute ornaments...would NOT come off the sticky paper.  (I mean they will NOT come off.)  And boy, they were so cute that I bought three sheets of them...which means I have three sheets of worthless stickers, one of which I can't take back because I have mangled letters trying to tear them off.

Pinned ImageMoving on to the next project because how can you possibly screw it up?  It's simple, you buy a foam cone, ornaments and beads.  You hot glue the ornaments to the foam cone and fill in the gaps and holes with the beads ta-da, a beautiful centerpiece like the one here.  Hmm, mine didn't turn out that way.

I worked on it for about an hour and gave up.  Took it to church with all the trimmings and made an announcement inviting someone to try to make something of it.  My mom volunteered and decided it was a lost cause as well.  Right now I have a pretty beat-up foam cone, with a toothpick holding on the tip (because of a slight mishap) and holes and glue everywhere.  It now sits in the original Hobby Lobby bag waiting for the trash.  I may be able to salvage some of the ornaments so that all is not a total loss.  Stupid Pinterest.

I did manage to create some masterpieces so all was not a total loss.  They will be for sale tomorrow at the annual bazaar.  Here are some sneak previews...

Organizer.  With dry-erase marker, list appointments, meals, practices, etc, for the week



A true necessity




Make notes with dry-erase marker.  Wipe with kleenex.

No comments: