Friday, November 9, 2012

My Conspiracy Theory

I have come to the conclusion that there is a conspiracy out there and it's big.  Its name is Pinterest, and beware, it will take hold of you before you even realize it.  Your friends will mention it in conversation and tell you that you absolutely must join because they have the neatest ideas, the best recipes, the cutest little crafts.  You will wait for your invite.  You will receive your invite and then...it's too late.

I've decided that Pinterest was developed by the craft stores to boost their sales and create excitement among the industry.  I can picture the thought process:  How can we more effectively lure women (especially those with a lot of vision, a good imagination and not much skill) into our stores with cash in hand and ready to buy whatever it takes to complete the perfect project?  Oh, yes, we'll create this website where people can post all sorts of crafts, do-it-yourself-projects, home decorating ideas, etc.; women and overwhelmed mothers will be sucked into it and spend countless hours in search of the perfect project, the project that will make their home "welcoming," the project that is so awesome no one will believe that they could've made it (all the while acting as if it was no big deal), the project that will solve all organizational problems within your unorganized house, the project that cost next-to-nothing (if you have all fifteen items on hand).

I am a sucker.   A few weeks ago, in preparation of our church bazaar, I spent a tad over $100 on craft supplies, most of which are not something I can reuse or continue using...all because I looked around for an hour-and-a-half on Pinterest  in the DIY and Crafts category.   Had I not been lured and tempted into believing that I was crafty and creative, I would not have went to the craft store and blown that money.  It is entirely Pinterest's fault. 

Pinterest creates this world where even a simpleton like myself believes that she can do anything.  It sucks me into this mindset that I can make all things cute, cool, unique and desirable with things found around my home...or in a junkyard...if I have the right supplies.  So yes, I go out and buy the supplies, race home, work on said project, get completely frustrated and give up. 

Yes, I have seen several really cute ideas on the site that I would like to try to recreate, many useful tips and ideas, wonderful, scrumptious-looking desserts and recipes...I am overcome with the I-can-do-anything mentality...and that's about where most of it ends for me.  It's like a female fantasy land. 

I haven't been on Pinterest much since I had my bazaar-craft-spree and I'm not saying I'm protesting it forever.  But from now on, before I go bonkers with new Pinterest ideas, I will try harder to maintain a little self control and stick to reality.   I wasn't Martha Stewart yesterday and I won't be her tomorrow...no matter how many hours I spend on Pinterest.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

You are so funny!! Hey readers, what she didn't tell you is that she did an AWESOME job on the picture frame calendar thingies... scroll below to her last post for proof!! :-)