Monday, August 1, 2011

My little artist...

In 2003, I got pregnant with our second child.  Unfortunately, for me and others around me, it was pretty much a repeat of pregnancy number one.  Lots of bathroom time.  In fact, Jay has informed this is now why he HATES hearing me cough...it reminds him of all the puking.  Gosh, that is too bad for Jay, isn't it?  That he had to listen to me coughing and puking so many times.  Poor guy...

Anyway, we were living at home, I had a three-year-old, very active, demanding, independent, sweet, sassy and stubborn three-year-old.  I remember this one day that I was feeling absolutely terrible and I told Madolyn that I was going to lie down on our bed and rest for a while because my tummy was just not feeling very well.  For a while became quite a while and apparently my very active, demanding, independent, sweet, sassy, stubborn and CREATIVE three-year-old got bored.

When I woke up, I found that my unattended daughter had found some pretty brown craft paint and a sponge brush.  And she had painted the coffee table, the side of the entertainment center, the arms of the rocking chair and herself.  AAAhhh, I was so mad, how could she do that and cover so much? Man, how long had I been asleep?  How had she found the paint and brush?  How did I not hear a peep?

Well, she had been told to be quiet because mommy was resting and quiet she was.  My dad is a painter, as in house, shed, buildings, etc.  I guess it's in our blood....at least it was that day.  There wasn't a whole lot I could say after the initial shock and lecture.  I mean, after all, I had left my very active, demanding, independent, sweet, sassy, stubborn and CREATIVE three-year-old unattended and lonely. What could I possibly say?  Fortunately, we had borrowed or used, scratch-and-dent furniture at the time...and amazingly enough, most of it came off.  Then there was that one time she got into the stamps and ink pads, I'm sure you can imagine...

No comments: