Children are a gift from the Lord;they are a reward from him. (Psalm 127:3 NLT)
In April of 2004, we had our sweet little man, Lane. That's what we called him forever and then it became the little buddy. My dad called him Bolliver, whatever that means. Once Lane learned to talk, he insisted that he be called Lane Truman, which was his name. It was always funny to hear him say "I Lane Truman" and beat his chest with his hand.
Truman was Jay's grandpa. Jay was very close to Truman, and as I was around more and more, I was too. He was kind of an ornery old fella, but we loved him. He died in 1998, I think, and there wasn't too much dispute when we found out we were having a boy, his middle name would be Truman. Of course, everyone asks us if we're Democrats because of Lane's name...which totally cracks me up. Hey, what if we just really love the name Truman? And no, he's not named after an attorney or two judges I used to work with either. Jay and I liked the name Lane. I worked with a gal whose son's name was Lane. We liked the movie 8 Seconds...There was no one reason why we named him Lane, we just did.
And Lane seems to fit the little buddy. He's a cowboy/farm boy through and through. He is a safety-conscious, hard-working little fella. You give him a pitchfork and a wheelbarrow and he'll clean a stall, move a mound of manure or whatever else you want him to move. And if you don't watch it, he will give you the safest and best means of doing something courtesy of my father, who Lane spent five years with before starting school. He also talks with his hands and tells tall, tall tales. I have no idea where he gets that!!
He wore nothing but boots until he started school. And for the longest time he would only wear blue jeans, literally. Two years ago when we went to Florida, Jay packed his suitcase and did not put one pair of jeans in there, Lane was forced to wear shorts...only shorts. We also left the boots behind. It was the turning point to some degree. Once he started school, he realized that no one else was wearing boots and started enjoying the tennis shoe. Of course, he, like his mama, loves the Converse All Stars...and so he has had a pair of those since he was two. We just keep buying the next size. I know it kills his dad...I love them though!!
Fortunately for us, we were blessed with one girl and one boy. We are so thankful to have experienced the differences in both thus far. There are some good, some bad. We'll take it.
No comments:
Post a Comment