Every single day as I pull up to the garage, my three dogs are jumping and barking and going to and fro. They are so excited to see me they can hardly stand it. Even if I leave and return home multiple times a day, they go ballistic with joy when I come home. And Abby, now nicknamed Granny, (who can hardly get up without stretching first, and who, we believe, is partially blind and deaf) is even wobbling with delight as I arrive. There are many days where I just laugh and shake my head thinking, don't they realize that this is the same scenario time after time? Whether I'm gone 20 minutes or 8 hours, they act like they haven't seen me in days. It's like the movie Groundhog Day.
Now let's switch gears to the humans. Do you know people who have a not-so-pleasant reaction when you see them? For instance, when you walk into some sort of office or appointment and you are 'greeted' by the most blah person on the planet, as if you're bothering them by showing up...honestly, can you at least pretend to be pleased to see me?
My dogs are happy to see me regardless of what time it is or how the weather is outside. They don't care if I come bearing gifts or if I am empty-handed. They love me. They would be terrific greeters at Walmart or church...other than the fact they might knock you down as they attempt to greet you.
I want to exhibit that kind of joy when I see people, don't you? Not, "Oh crap, there is so and so," or, "Man, I'm so not in the mood to talk to him right now." And I know that a lot of times, those are the things that are going through my mind and probably written across my face.
Yes, sometimes I want to ram my car into one of the dogs because they will not get out of the way so I can pull in the garage, and there are times when I'm trying to get out of the car and they are bouncing up and down, knocking into the car door, me, my bags...they are blocking the steps to the house or the door...oh yes, a lot of times I'm swinging something at them or shooing them with my foot to get them out of my way...but I do talk to them and at least acknowledge them. They are so happy to see me...regardless of what I have to say or what I can do for them.
I need to be more like my happy-go-lucky-dogs and make every interaction with another human being a good one. Life it too short to be grouchy.
No comments:
Post a Comment