Friday, December 26, 2014

Bullying - No Age Limit

“Here’s another old saying that deserves a second look: ‘Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.’ Is that going to get us anywhere? Here’s what I propose: ‘Don’t hit back at all.’ If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, gift wrap your best coat and make a present of it. And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously." Matthew 5:38-40 (The Message)

I get so tired of hearing about bullying.  It seems like everywhere we turn, we're hearing about it.  I am not saying it doesn't exist and it's not serious, I just wish it would stop.  (On the other hand, I also get tired of it being an excuse for bad behavior.)

What I am starting to realize is that bullying doesn't go away at a certain age.  I see it now even as an adult.  The hard part for me is that adults should really know better.

It is so hard to turn the cheek, as we're commanded to do.  It never gets easier.  I'm a sassy one, I've been told, and it's really difficult for me not to spout off sometimes when I really want to.  (Now where does Madolyn get this nasty trait?)

Many times I think...Oh, it would feel so good to make them hurt like I am (or the way they are making someone else hurt).  God says, No, do unto others as you would have done unto you.  

I wonder...Don't they understand the hurt they are causing?  God says, Forgive them and love them anyway.

I ponder...Oh, if only they would get a little taste of what they're dishing out.  God says, Sarah, do not repay evil with evil.

I repeat in my mind the old saying...What comes around goes around.  And God whispers, My child, do not wish harm upon another.

Many times, I start to write, text something or start punching numbers to make a call...and God reminds me, take a deep breath, think about what you're doing, and turn that chubby cheek of yours.

Unfortunately, bullying exists whether you're 5, 15 or 45 years old.  I know it's easier said than done, but I wish we could all just spread God's love and forgiveness instead of tearing down one another.


No comments: