: to take in and let out a long, loud breath in a way that shows you are bored, disappointed, relieved, etc.
: to make a sound like sighing
: to say (something) with a sigh
I would say that I am not a sigher (my made-up word for this post). I feel confident about that statement because I am around at least three people who sigh...a lot. I know for certain I do not sigh as much as some people, if indeed I do sigh.
I guess I have never really noticed people who sigh until recently...thanks to the three sighers of whom I speak.
I won't throw out any names, you can try and guess them on your own, but I will start off with Sigher #1. This person sighs a lot, sighs loudly, and almost growls as the sigh is expelled. Many times I want to holler out, "Is there something I can help you with?" because I am assuming that the sigh is a sign that there is a problem...and perhaps this person wants my assistance?? Most likely it is frustration with whatever #1 is doing, but honestly, if #1 doesn't want my help, then stop with the incessant sighing...
Moving onto Sigher #2 . #2 doesn't necessarily sigh a lot, but when he or she does sigh, it is loud enough for all the world to hear, and again, I can't help but wonder if that is intended for my ears and/or if it is a cry for help. Other times, I feel like it's my sign that #2 is having difficulties, doesn't really want my help, but wants to make certain I realize things are not going smoothly...as if to one-up me.
And finally, Sigher #3. #3 is just at that stage in life (I'm hoping) where everything is just one big sigh. I'm not even sure if #3 realizes how much they sigh. It's almost as if it has become an unconscious habit or something. If you just stop and wait for #3 to sigh, it is comical how many times you will hear it. And once again, do I offer some assistance? No, because I don't know anything of importance, I cannot possibly understand their situation, and frankly, I think it boils down to #3's age and stage in life. We can only hope...*sigh*
I have decided that even the Precious Hank the Tank II has picked up on the sighing...
It is funny how much I have tuned into the sighing during the last couple of weeks...perhaps because I have heard it consistently from all three sighers...or maybe I just have really good hearing. *sigh*
2 comments:
I think I know who two of them are. (I'm POSITIVE I know who one is.) ;-)
Yes, Kathy, I'm sure you know at least one of them ;)
Post a Comment