My favorite week of the year is almost here. The Martinsville Agricultural Fair begins on Sunday. As a child, the fair was sort of like our vacation and we soaked up every last minute of it. Many on my dad's side of the family have always had ties to the fair and it's operation. Currently my dad is serving as fair board president, but he has a very strong group of board members that pull this shindig together each year.
The board members and volunteers devote countless hours in preparation for this one week. They began immediately after the conclusion of the fair to plan for the next year. It never stops. Obviously, the month or two before the fair is the busiest, but these folks are working all year long for this event.
I have such wonderful memories of the fair...the midway and the carnival, the scramble, the taffy, the shake-ups, the porkburgers, french fries, nutty bars, the art's hall, horse races, the demo derby, the dirt and dust. I could go on and on. As I am discovering through parenthood and adulthood, all those wonderful things I got to do as a child like going to the fair, going camping, going to church camp, VBS, etc, are exhausting for the adults! As I look forward with anticipation for next week, I am also already worrying about the exhaustion, not only for myself, but for my kids, family members and other friends and family. It almost wipes a person out!!
The one thing that has stood the test of time, although a few things have changed, is that fair week begins on Sunday with the Lord's blessing. In years past, all the churches cancelled their Sunday evening worship services and came to the fairgrounds for a community service. In more recent times, there is a gospel sing, free-will donation. There isn't a message per se, but we still begin the week giving praise and asking for a blanket of safety and blessing on the fairgrounds. Many believe this is the key to the fair's success. I tend to think it has a great deal to do with it.
When the Elevate concert came to town in 2010, the Elevate committee began, about a month before the concert and fair week, having a prayer meeting every Thursday evening at 7 at the fairgrounds. I cannot begin to tell you what that weekly prayer means to me...yes, it takes about an hour out of my Thursday evening during the summer, but it brings such peace. I love it that people gather right there on the grounds to pray for the concert, the fair, the fair board members (which include many of my family and church family) and everyone in attendance. Most will never know how many prayers are sent up for them as they walk through those fair gates next week. Countless prayers have been prayed for their safety.
I may have posted about this before, but this one particular memory is such a testament to me about the blanket of safety and blessing that cover that fairgrounds. I was sitting in the top row of the grandstands and a rain storm was on its way. (There were a couple years there where our fair could not afford to have much rain, as many things would be cancelled and the crowds would stay away.) And I remember sitting there just whispering prayers for that rain to stay away, please, just keep it away from us (hard to believe I could've said such a thing when we are in such need right now, huh?). I looked over the railing of the grandstands to the south and just across the road it was raining. It rained all around the fairgrounds that day. I am serious as can be. It was absolutely unbelievable. Nothing was rained out, nothing cancelled, the crowds came.
As I watch many scramble around to get things done before Sunday, I worry about their health and well being especially with record-setting temperatures. (Many people that I know do not know when to quit!) The forecast predicts a major break in the heat on Monday. I thank God in advance for such a blessing. We are desperate for rain, and normally I would pray that the rain would stay away for fair week, but instead, I say bring on the rain, even if it is during fair week. We will get through it.
If you are in the area, come out and spend at least one afternoon or evening at the Martinsville Agricultural Fair. There is a $5 gate admission, but hey, you can ride all the rides you want all evening long! You can't beat that. If time permits, I will post more about the schedule of events, but just in case time gets away from me (as it often does), you can view the schedule of events by visiting http://www.martinsvilleagfair.com/.
No comments:
Post a Comment