Friday, July 6, 2012

Elevate 2012

I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands.  Psalm 63:4 (NIV)
In 2010, a small committee formed and pressed forward to fulfill what God had called them to do:  Put together a family-friendly, affordable, safe, Christian concert with awesome bands, all in the hopes of elevating our community and bringing folks closer to God.  The first year was a huge success.  NeedtoBreathe and Jars of Clay were the two main Christian bands.  It was unbelievable that those bands had agreed to come to little ole Martinsville, Illinois, yet they came.  And so did the people. 

In 2011, I was asked to join the committee and accepted the invitation.  I absolutely love Christian music and will travel many miles to hear a band I love.  I love our community and love Jesus.  So I was all about encouraging our community to love Jesus.  Last year Sanctus Real, Gungor & JJ Heller took the stage.  The weather threw a wrench in Sanctus Real's performance, but those that attended enjoyed the bands.  And thankfully, there were no injuries or incidents because of the storm that rolled through.  The right decisions were made and the timing was nearly perfect when the show was cut short.

So here we are in 2012, Elevate is tomorrow at the Martinsville, Illinois fairgrounds, beginning at 5:00 p.m.  Terrace Lake Worship will open the show, followed by For King and Country, Josh Wilson and Kutless.  It is another terrific line-up.  Last year we brought in bounce houses for the kids to enjoy while their parents watch the concert and it was a huge success...the bounce houses will be back again for the kids' pleasure.  We will have a prayer tent for those feeling the need to ask for special prayer or to be lead to the Lord.  Water tents will be situated near the crowd with the merchandise tent nearby.

Tickets for this concert are $15 per person, $5 for kids 3-10.  They will be available at the door.  We also have Elevate 2012 t-shirts that will be for sale in the merchandise tent.  Often, it is easy to forget about the behind-the-scenes work that has to be done to prepare for something like this.  Although I am part of the committee, I only participate in a fraction of the preparations compared to the others.  I thank them for their hard work and dedication.  I know how much time and effort they have put into the day.

There are many willing volunteers that will be helping out tomorrow with parking, working the gates, security on the track, merchandise tents, water tents, bounce houses, setting up the stage and tents, etc.  We are so thankful to all of them for giving up their time to help.  We are gracious to the fair board for allowing us to use the facility and attach it to the fair so that the grounds are in tip-top shape and the vendors are around to sell food and treats.

The purpose of this concert is to glorify God, not ourselves, not our fairgrounds or even the community.  It is simply to give him praise and hopefully share his goodness and salvation with others.  It may not be your thing, or at least you may think it isn't, but give it a try.  Come join us tomorrow afternoon and evening.  It may be a tad hot, but I was thinking the other day when I was sure that I was as hot as I have ever been...Hell will be worse, much worse.  Far beyond our wildest imagination.  We can do this.  Let many come, even in the scorching hot temperatures and praise the Lord...showing the Devil he is no match.   

No comments: