Saturday, October 18, 2014

LOVC Champs!

Last week our Varsity volleyball team won the conference tournament championship.  It sure was an exciting night, even though I had to miss the game (that is another post).

The fire trucks met the bus and the caravan of fans out at the gas station and paraded us through town with the lights and sirens in full swing.  The fan caravan followed with horns blaring and hazard lights flashing.  It was just like old times.

As usual, I wonder if some of the girls really 'get it' like I do.  Way back when, it was a common occurrence for us to win, win, win.  We won conference tournaments, regionals, sectionals, holiday tournaments and play-off games on a regular basis.  The Bluestreaks were alive and they were a serious threat to the area rivalries.

Driving through town Saturday night in all the hoopla, I saw the mother of a girl I grew up with standing on her porch in her bath robe, with her hands in the air, cheering and waving.  She knew exactly what was going on.  I loved it.

In the tournament play leading up to the championship game, our girls had to dig down deep for their victories, but they did it.  They didn't self-destruct or get down on one another, which sometimes happens.  They pulled together and fought hard.  And they won.

Our volleyball program has had successful, winning seasons over the last several years, thanks to a year-round, starting-at-the-grade-school-level, commitment from the coaches and players.  It takes hard work, dedication and lots and lots of time and practice to succeed.  Not just in volleyball, baseball or basketball, but in life.

Maybe things are cycling around, like we have been hoping they would.  A winning spirit is contagious just like a losing one can be.  Seems like we've lost for so long, that many Bluestreaks have forgotten how to win.  I see that in adults too.  They get caught in the rut of 'losing' at life, and they forget to press on.

I sure am proud of our girls, who have made the commitment, over the last four years of their lives, to play like champions.  They have worked hard to reach this point and deserve their success.  One starting player posted the day after their big win about being a Christian athlete, playing your best for Him and giving Him all the glory, win or lose.  Can there be a better lesson learned here?

I hope to post bigger and better things as the season progresses.  Regardless of the final win/loss record, these girls are building on their character and integrity through these experiences and they are going to be winners in the game of life.

No comments: