Ahhh, can you tell it's summertime? I went to my blog page and noticed my last post was way back on June 6. Who can even remember what they were doing that far back?! I'm still alive and well, people...just enjoying summer and it's busyness.
This week's excitement consists of one of my fondest childhood memories: The Martinsville Ag Fair. There is none like it. If you have a chance to come visit, please do so...(unless you're just a fair hater - you better stay home.)
I know some people just don't get into it like I do, but it's in my genes and I cannot imagine a summer without it. I go every day as much as I can and soak it all up. First rule: skip grocery shopping for the week - use the grocery money on fair food!! It can get a little pricey, so that's how I make it work.
A lot of time and energy is demanded to make it all together, and no one really realizes just how much until they've had a family member or friend on the board. I certainly hope that every person who enjoys even just a couple hours at the fair will extend a simple "Thank you" to the fair board at some point.
I was probably considered a "fair rat" when I was younger, spending all day, every day at the fairgrounds running around with friends and cousins, driving the ladies in the secretary's office crazy, answering the phone and giving out somewhat accurate information. Fast forward to the present and my kids are the fair rats running around driving everyone in the office crazy, enjoying their candy and air conditioning, answering the phone, etc.
It won't be long and the week will be over; the fairgrounds will stand empty and still. I often drive by thinking, wow, I can't believe just a few weeks (months, year) ago, that place was jam-packed with people from all over, partaking of the festivities. It's a beautiful little corner of my world, covered in a blanket of the Lord's protection. I firmly believe that.
If you have a chance, stop in and visit the Martinsville Ag Fair. And, please, say a prayer for the board members, volunteers, vendors and spectators. Praise the Lord that we are still able to host such an event with great success.
No comments:
Post a Comment