Friday, February 12, 2016

Hutt, #11, is in the House!

Introducing our newest little critter - Black Labrador, and number 11 in the dog countdown - Hutt...
I'd like you to think that Jay is overcome with joy - but really it's very sunny!


Jay and I traveled across state lines to pick up Mr. Hutt last weekend.  It was a long haul - 8 hours one-way, but we enjoyed our time together and were super excited to finally meet the pup.  Hutt made the trek home without huge upset or mess.  We stopped a lot, but, overall, he was very well behaved and only whined and barked a little, which was to be expected.  We had ripped him away from his mother, after all.

The first meeting with Hank the Tank II was pretty uneventful.  It's obvious Hutt was looking for his mama though.
"Are you my mother?"


We are adjusting to life with a new puppy, which is much like a newborn baby/inquisitive toddler. Nothing left on the ground or within reach is safe, and I do mean nothing.  Bedroom doors are kept shut, shoes are on the counter, or up high, nothing is left untouched.  We know it will get much worse before it gets better.  That's just part of it.  (We've been through this process a few times, you know.)

I'm very thankful to Jay for planning the acquisition of Hutt around his long break at work.  In the past, that has not always been the case and it makes for an unhappy Sarah!  I'll have my shot at night-time duty this weekend when Jay is working nights and I'm left to march the fella outside at 2:00 a.m...though I may put a different plan into action.  It's called - not waking up to wake up the puppy to go potty, let him tell me it's time to go!!  We'll see how that goes.

Here's a little irony, or what I like to think of as a Godincidence.  Last summer when Jay started thinking about a new retrieving dog, he picked out a name - Hutt Jedi for the future pup.  This is months and months before he found this puppy.  I teased him about the name because I told him people would think he was a Star Wars junkie - and with the release of the latest movie, you know they would.  He didn't care, Hutt it was - though he decided to drop the "Jedi" from his common name.

We meet the dog guy and his two young sons at a truck stop to make the exchange and Jay asks the little boys what they have been calling the puppy.  They respond with "Bossk."  Dad chimes in and says, "Yeah, we are huge Star Wars fans; all the puppies in this litter were named after Star Wars characters."  How 'bout that?  Is that not the craziest thing ever?  There could not be a more perfect name than Hutt for our little guy.  Too funny.

I posted this picture of Hutt lounging in the recliner the other night while we played Dominos and a couple of the comments are hilarious.   "Best of luck to you, buddy!" and "Hutt...we need to talk. Be careful.  Be VERY careful."  Those two were my favorites, written by friends that know us a little too well, I do believe.

How can you resist that face?

Here's to you #11 and our new adventures!


1 comment:

apronsandappetites.com said...

Well, that was a God thing, wasn't it? Getting that particular pup from those particular people. I think he will do just fine. :)