We got on a large van with our group and away we went on our last full-day there. Our tour guide, Latoya, was sweet and it was her birthday. She gave us lots of information about the culture and the locals. I enjoyed learning a little bit about the country. We stopped at a gift shop along the way and bought a few souvenirs and water shoes for Jay. You could not go on the water falls tour without water shoes. Fortunately, they sold them everywhere...ya think?
We caught on to the fact that everything was connected. For instance, at this gift shop another tour bus had stopped. When we bought something, we had to tell the cashier the name of our tour guide. We weren't going to stop and eat anywhere, we had to order our food on the bus from the tour guide. She and the bus driver went somewhere while we were at the falls to get the food. We noticed on the way back to the resort, our tour guide had two large bottles of Rum in a bag that she had not had before. Do you catch my drift?
![]() |
| Carvings are on the back. |
The River Falls were gorgeous, no question. I couldn't imagine what it was going to be like beforehand. But it was like what you might think - you are simply climbing up a gradual water fall as the water is pounding down from above. Sometimes the currents were quite strong. The rocks were rounded and not sharp, which I appreciated.
Funny thing - when we began at the bottom, our guide has us hold hands, all of us, and go in a line. It was much like taking a kindergarten class to the park. I was cracking up, holding hands with complete strangers while trying to stay upright on these rocks. He was trying to keep us on the same path, I know, but it was still funny and kind of hard to manage at times. My instinct is not to grab a stranger, but to grab Jay!
| Missed it - he's peeking behind the tree. |
Along with our tour guide was a photographer/videographer. They were happy to put a small DVD together at the end for the whole group to purchase. It was probably a nice keepsake, but we were happy with the photos we got. And our guide was nice enough to oblige us a few times and take pictures of us so we had a couple together.
I am usually not thrilled with getting in water unless it's about bath temperature. This water wasn't too bad. I'm still kind of surprised I did it without hesitation. (Or maybe I knew to keep my mouth shut because Jay was not happy about the whole thing!)
This picture to the left reminds me of a fake background because it looks too perfect, but I assure you it is real! This is my favorite picture from our whole trip. It is going in the picture frame I bought at the airport...even though Jay says I could probably have ordered it online from China a little cheaper. (This from someone who didn't bring swim trunks and bought them at the resort...)
| We made it all the way up! |
| Beef & cheese patty |
| Jerk pork & rice - FIRE, FIRE! |
Jay loved the Jerk pork and rice, although it was definitely the spiciest he had eaten. Latoya warned us that the Jerk meat we had had at the resort was nothing compared to the "real" authentic local stuff.
Before I wrap this up, I was worried about getting good water to drink while I was down there. We had a fridge in our room and it was stocked daily with whatever we wanted, we just had to ask. I asked immediately upon arriving for bottled water. They didn't disappoint. I got water, and not just any water...I got the good stuff, pure Jamaican WATA!
| When nothing but Wata will do |
If you couldn't tell from my Jamaican Me Crazy posts, we absolutely loved our trip to Jamaica and our stay at the Iberostar. I will admit that I was very nervous that it would not live up to my expectations based on what we had spent. We'd never done anything like this before and we wanted a good one. It was quite the experience and well worth it. We do hope to go back some day again.
| Our final picture before departing the resort. |
We developed a plan and hit fast-forward. We made it to the front of the line at the airline counter and got on the next flight to Indy, which was less than a two-hour wait. In hindsight, it's probably the flight we should have been on to begin with. (Afterwards when I was telling our travel agent all of this, she said, "That never happens both ways." Obviously, you haven't traveled with the Wilhoit's!) We were back home only a couple hours later than expected and our kids were still awake waiting on us. It was good to be home and see those stinkers!
We appreciated the help we had from friends and grandparents while we were away. It made it easier knowing our kids were being taken care of. With technology today, I was able to communicate with family and Facetime Madolyn a couple times.
Now, when can we leave again and return where there are no problems, only solutions?
Yea mon!

1 comment:
I want to goooooooooo!
Post a Comment