A few weeks ago Abby acted really weird for about 36 hours. We were worried at first, but she perked up and we thought she must have gotten into something bad for her tummy and was fine. Last weekend, she started acting funny again and she didn't recuperate like before.
We have, at times, been annoyed with Abby because of her extreme loyalty, myself especially. The common dog phrase, "Faithful Companion," best describes Abby. She was at my side if I was outside, always.
Every single time I headed out on a big walk, she was jumping at my feet ready to go, and then would proceed to literally walk on my feet, at times even causing me to trip or stumble. Quite frankly, with my clumsiness and her attached-to-my-ankle notion, I am surprised I have never fallen and hurt myself.
Just this past year or so, Jay noticed something kind of neat about #5. Abby would stay between me and whatever might try to come near me on a walk. If another dog would start to come my way, she would move in. If Jay and I tried to switch places to trick her, she would move too. She was my fearless protector...annoying as it would sometimes be.
This past year, she got to where she would not get up as quickly as she used to, she had sort of a glaze to her eyes and we wondered if she could even see or hear. I got to calling her granny because she hobbled around like an old lady, somewhat deaf and blind. She has been good for Hank the Tank II though because she stopped running around and kind of keeps Hank home, for the most part. (Hank isn't too brave on his own.)
We have no idea what her ailment is, but as a family, we all agreed there was no reason to prolong her suffering. I am thankful that she didn't wander off and die as some dogs like to do...although that might have been easier on Jay, who had the daunting task of taking her to the vet this morning.
Farewell, my faithful companion - the longest living dog we have ever had - you certainly won't be alone in Wilhoit dog heaven.

No comments:
Post a Comment