I get into ruts with breakfast. I find something fast and somewhat healthy and filling and then I eat that for months, get tired of it and have to find something else. And I have decided that maybe I needed to eat more at breakfast so I wouldn't be so hungry by 10:30.
If only I liked eggs...they are so good for you, have protein and are quick, cheap and easy. I only like eggs in brownie, cookie or cake batter. I have tried to like them, but it's just not in me to eat them and honestly I cannot stand the smell. I truly wish I did.
So I have moved on to my latest breakfast combo - either a couple pieces of bacon or a container of Greek yogurt (for protein) and a bowl of Honeynut Cheerios with almond milk and sliced-up bananas. It is quite filling and tasty. I am changing it up here and there depending on whether I have bacon or yogurt in the fridge.
I have noticed that I am not as hungry mid-morning and can almost make it to lunchtime without a snack...almost.
The cool part - every morning as I slice up my banana, smell the Cheerios and pour the milk, I think of my grandparents, Scottie & Margaret. They ate Cheerios with bananas a LOT - maybe not as much as jello with fruit, but almost. I can picture us sitting in their kitchen up in Mazon having cereal.
Sometimes I think my kids will miss out just a little bit on having to travel to their grandparent's house because that made it even more special. I know they reap many benefits from having both sets of grandparents here local, but it was sort of exciting to pack up and head north to Mazon to visit Grandma & Grandpa Lynch. I'm sure as I got older, I may have complained about it (who me?), but I know when I was younger, I loved it.
Isn't it great how the oddest things can cause a memory to surface? Sometimes it's a certain scent, sometimes it's a song, but sometimes it's simply the Lynch breakfast special...
No comments:
Post a Comment