
![]() |
| Bamboo needles |
Several months ago, I decided I needed to take up a hobby that did not require technology. Knitting was making a return to the world, and because I had a little background in knitting, I decided that was it. A while back, a friend got a pair of needles, a knitting book and some yarn for me, and I put it away in the closet until I had time to work on it.
So here I was a couple weeks ago with a lot of downtime on my hands. What to do? Ahh, yes, I will break out the bamboo needles and yarn and figure this knitting thing out. The lady at the Yarn Studio in a nearby town told my friend to tell me to use the book and watch youtube videos to get me going and that is what I did.
What I found amazing was as soon as I watched and read a little, it all came back to me. My Grandma Lynch was a knitting maniac. Most of my memories of her include yarn, needles and her knitting bag. . .and lots and lots of knitted gifts. I'm guessing I was about 12 or so when she taught me the very basics. I didn't stick with it and now here I am relearning.
As soon as I got the hang of it, I was taken aback...I could smell, see and feel my Grandma Lynch. Everything about it brought back memories of her knitting. I fell in love with it and am hooked. I cannot seem to put the needles down!
I have completed a dishrag (which was a fun project) and two scarves. I am just about done with my third scarf. It is a more complicated pattern and I'm having to really take my time. Today I received this text from my number one fan and BFF: "Blog Please" to which I replied "I'm knitting, sorry." His response, "Your people want blogs not scarves."
That cracked me up! I'm outta control. I have knitted in 90+ degree weather at a football game. Got lots of stares. I teased...I was knitting an afghan, ha. I knitted the other night at the volleyball game. More stares. One asked, "Are you still on the same scarf as the football game?" Ha, no, this is a new one!
I am the type of person that can hardly sit still. This is a great way for me to be doing something while doing nothing...so as not to waste time. Huh? Get it? And now that I've learned a few tricks, I don't need technology of any kind to knit away. I can take it wherever I go. Sorry, family, if I'm embarrassing you!
One funny about my grandma's knitting...the time Jay got an off-white cable-knit sweater (turtleneck and all) for Christmas. Wow, was he speechless?! Needless to say, he has never worn it out. I keep teasing him that I will make him one. My favorite knitted things from grandma were the matching leg warmers (blue and white striped - Go Bluestreaks) she made for me and my Cabbage Patch Doll, Amy Ann. They were adorable. Also, I love the burnt orange afghan that my mom has. Great, perfect-sized blanket that really keeps the heat in.
Lane keeps bugging me about a blanket, and I keep telling him I'll get there, but it will take a while...a long while. He also wants a pair of socks and a hat. Now, that I can probably do in short order. And speaking of that...I gotta go.
Does anyone out there need a scarf?
| Almost done. |

2 comments:
Awesome job Sarah! I learned to crochet right after I had Lucas...I love it!
Wow, that pattern on the new scarf is amazing! Nice job! And tell you bff that while he's right about "your people" wanting blog posts, we also like the scarves! I'm hoping it's cold enough Saturday morning to wear it at the xc meet that starts at 8. (They're predicting 40 degrees.)
Post a Comment